There’s no doubt that electricity is an essential component of our everyday lives. Think about all of the things you rely upon and miss when the power goes out in your home. We need electrical current for so many things we use, from heating and air conditioning in Charlottesville to typical appliances like refrigerators and televisions in Newark. 

But while our home electrical sources make life so much easier, that same current can prove hazardous or even deadly if mishandled. That’s why it’s so important to establish some electrical safety tips and rules for your home, particularly if you have small children living in that home. Electrical malfunctions can cause fires and poorly maintained wires and outlets can injure or possibly even kill someone. 

So, let’s have a look at the many electrical different safety measures you can implement in the home to keep your vital electricity from doing more harm than good. Many of these are simple common sense but others may not be so obvious to some. 

Check Your Power Cords

The cords that supply power to anything electrical must be in good condition. Any cords with exposed wiring can be dangerous. So, take a look at the cords around your home. Do you see any that have been frayed, chewed, or stripped? If so, you need to get out the electrical tape and make repairs where necessary as soon as you can. Allowing these cords to remain compromised is just asking for trouble. 

Proper Storage of Your Cords

Staying safe at home with your electrical cords means having them in good working order and ensuring they are not lying around when not in use. The quickest way to damage important electrical cords is to leave them out where they can be played with or chewed on by kids and pets. 

Cords can also present other dangers even when they are not plugged in. This includes choking hazards and the risk of damage to the cord if it is stored improperly. Don’t wrap your cords tightly around anything, this could cause the cord to stretch and that may trigger overheating the next time it is plugged into an outlet. 

Avoiding Outlet Overload

Do you have wire octopuses hanging around your house? If so, you need to get rid of them immediately. Many homeowners will try to double or triple their outlet capacity by plugging in one of those multi-plug splitters where two outlets are turned into six. 

It can be potentially hazardous to use all six of those outlets because overloading the outlet could lead to a fire. Power strips are a much smarter alternative, just be sure you’ve chosen one of the more energy efficient models to help accommodate all of your devices and appliances at one time. 

Watch Those Extension Cords

If you are going to plug in an extension cord, be sure that it is well and properly secured to prevent anyone from tripping over it. This is especially critical for homes where the elderly live. One trip and fall incident could be devastating for a senior citizen. 

Another important reason for keeping your extension cords in a safe place is that if someone does trip over it and yanks the plug out of the outlet, that could damage to the plug or the outlet. 

Moisture and Electricity Do Not Mix

Do all you can to prevent the two from coming into contact with one another. If you spill any kind of liquid on or near an outlet or near wires, be sure that you dry everything thoroughly and always be careful around these electrical elements when moisture is present. Clean-up may require you to shut down the power before you venture towards any major spill. 

Watch Your Wattage

Installing the proper light bulbs means knowing the wattage of the bulb and the fixture. If you screw in a bulb with the incorrect wattage you are increasing your risks of doing some damage. Some light fixtures do not have the wattage clearly labeled, in which case you can stay safe by using a 60-watt or lower bulb. Anything higher could be courting danger with respect to an explosion or fire breaking out. 

Keep Little Fingers from Outlets

Kids are curious by nature. That makes electrical outlets a very serious danger as they may attempt to stick their fingers or foreign objects into a socket. When that socket is live, you need to watch out. Your child could become electrocuted or cause